Books! There are so many we have grown to love since having children. Some of them are from our own childhoods and some are not. To make it easy I’ll put our favorite books in list form with notes.
- Goodnight Moon – This became a nightly read when our oldest was a toddler. Read it slowly and quietly and you’ll almost put yourself to sleep.
- Sandra Boynton books – My introduction to these silly, fun books came via my oldest niece. Some of our favorites are The Going to Bed Book, Pajama Time!, Blue Hat, Green Hat, Snuggle Puppy and Night Night, Little Pookie.
- Bread and Jam for Frances and other Frances books by Russell Hoban. Frances is just delightful.
- Katy and the Big Snow, Mike Mulligan and His Steamshovel, The Little House, Choo Choo and Maybelle by Virginia Lee Burton. She was a mastermind at illustrations for children as well as the stories behind them. Our six year-old still loves tracing Katy’s path through the snow of Geopolis.
- Just A Bath, Just Lost and other Critter books by Mercer Mayer.
- The Please and Thank You Book and Cars and Trucks and Things That Go by Richard Scarry.
- Big Dog, Little Dog and The Alphabet Book by P.D. Eastman.
- The Boy With A Drum, My Good Morning Book, My Goodnight Book, Poems to Read to the Very Young, Baby Dear and others illustrated by Eloise Wilkin. Wonderful!
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Eric Carle. We give each animal in Polar Bear its own voice, and the last page becomes a song.
I look forward to adding many many more books to this list in the future!